Friday, November 09, 2007

Mockingbirds

Earlier this week, on November 5th, author Harper Lee made a rare public appearance to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom for her novel To Kill a Mockingbird.




This is a picture of Ms. Lee (81) at the medal ceremony with President Bush. I'm tempted to make a joke here to the effect that, even now, Harper Lee is less dowdy than Catherine Keener, but that would be mean. I love Catherine Keener, and Harper Lee for that matter, so I will restrain myself. Moving on...

November 5th also happened to be my father's birthday. The coinciding of these two events got me thinking. Remember that scene in To Kill a Mockingbird where Atticus kills the rabid dog in one shot and Jem and Scout are amazed and every one's all like "Yeah, your dad is totally the best shot in three counties," and suddenly Jem and Scout realize that their boring, lame dad is actually awesome? Well, my father is now 65 and I am 28, I'm pretty sure that this moment is never coming for us. At this point I'm 98% certain that my dad is exactly as boring and lame as he appears to be.

1 comment:

Mama Loves Coffee said...

I didn't know I was born on your dad's birthday.

...Maybe it's an astrology thing. I'm pretty sure I'm boring and lame, too.