Wednesday, November 05, 2008

I Believe

So much has already been said and I don't have the words to say it any better. I am extraordinarily happy today and so proud of my country.

In retrospect, I probably should have thought through my election night plans a little better. Someday, in the distant future, when my child looks up at me and asks me where I was the night America elected its first black President, I will have to look my progeny in the eye and tell him or her that I was in a bar called Big Wangs. This is not the stuff that NPR National Story Project pieces are made of.

In other news, this video made me smile. This is REM, performing last night in Santiago, when their manager came on stage to announce Obama's win. The song is called "I Beleive."



Trust in your calling, make sure your calling's true
Think of others, the others think of you
Silly rule golden words make, practice, practice makes perfect,
Perfect is a fault, and fault lines change

I believe my humor's wearing thin
And change is what I believe in
I believe my shirt is wearing thin
And change is what I believe in

-REM

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Years from now I hope we vividly recall where we watched the election results, vice having an infamous moment associated with the election of our first president of color. We do not need a repeat of the events that stole JFK from us, a moment in time that a generation before us has never, and will never forget.

I am certainly excited about what an Obama presidency will bring to our beleaguered nation. He is very articulate to be sure, and seemingly has the intellect and composure to be successful in the highest office of the most powerful nation on earth. However, I am a little skeptical about his level of experience, alleged ties to unsavory organizations and religious affiliations. I voted for him, primarily because of bitterness at the incompetence of the Bush administration. I remain disenfranchised with America so far in the 21st Century, and came across a political graphic that does a fairly good job in capturing this sentiment.

http://www.cafepress.com/usa21stcentury